The Ultimate Guide to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu- 101 Resources to Help Anyone Learn the Gentle Art
Posted by Staff Writers on December 15, 2008
Brazilian jiu-jitsu, or BJJ, is a popular martial arts form that originated in Japan. Whether you’re a competing professional or are interested in learning the basics, you can turn to these 101 resources for conditioning tips, competition information, video clips and other helpful resources.
What is Jiu-Jitsu?
Learn about the history and philosophy of jiu-jitsu here.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Get an overview of jiu jitsu’s history and derivatives here.
- Jiu-jitsu History: Learn about the beginnings of jiu-jitsu, its development and how it became popular in Brazil.
- What is jiu jitsu?: Get an explanation of jiu jitsu here.
- The History of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: The International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation documents the history of the martial arts form.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu History: This history dates jiu-jitsu back to ancient Egypt, along with sumo wrestling in Japan.
- Jiu Jitsu: Learn about the development of jiu jitsu, all the way back to its beginnings as the martial arts form practiced by medieval warriors in Japan.
- What is Jiu Jitsu?: New York Jiu Jitsu discusses the style and modern day significance of the martial arts form.
- Cambridge University Jiu Jitsu Club: Here you can get answers to questions like "Why do Jitsu?" and "How does Jitsu work?"
- History of Jiu-Jitsu: This particular history traces jiu-jitsu back to India.
- Shen Wu History of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Learn about judo, Mitsuyo Maeda and other key factors and players in the development of jiu-jitsu.
Watch these videos to learn grappling and other moves.
- Submissions 101: This website is full of training videos for jiu-jitsu.
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu demonstration: Watch this demonstration set to music for inspiration.
- Jiu Jitsu 4th degree black belt, martial arts: This intense video shows some of the best from a jiu-jitsu tournament.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for Beginner: Arm Bar Move: This instructional video demonstrates the arm bar move.
- Tecnicas Jiu-Jitsu: Learn key moves like the Shoulder Grab and Two Handed Collar Grab here.
- Revolution 2, The X-Pass: This trainer offers a detailed description and demonstration of the X-Pass.
- Scissor Sweep Jiu Jitsu Technique: Watch this video to get an expert demonstration of the Scissor Sweep.
- The Jiu Jitsu Gi: Better understand the concept of the Gi and how to use it to your advantage when you watch this video.
- Advanced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Matrix Moves: Spider Guard Pass: For a look at advanced moves, watch this video.
- Hip Toss to Arm Bar: Learn how to throw someone down in the hip toss to arm bar move.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for Women: Women can learn powerful self-defense techniques by watching this video.
- American Arm Lock: Cindy Omatsu demonstrates the American Arm Lock in this video.
- Triangle Choke: Get a visual demonstration and a detailed explanation of the Triangle Choke.
- Guillotine Choke Escape: This trainer teaches escapes for each submission.
- Gene Simco Jiu-Jitsu Instruction: Gene Simco walks students through moves in this video.
These instructional guides can be helpful to anyone learning jiu-jitsu.
- Six Topics of Self Defense Training: Read about blocking and striking, street survival, and self defense here.
- Drills for Jiu Jitsu: Learn drills like the Mount Escape Drill here.
- Guard: Visit this site to watch guarding techniques.
- Traditional Jiu Jitsu Moves: Moves are categorized by white belt through black belt.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Techniques and Jiu Jitsu Techniques: Learn positions like The Side Mount and North-South here.
- Grappling Techniques: Here you can find clips for partner drills and more.
- Balancing Mat Times with Conditioning: Learn how to set up a healthy training schedule when you read this article.
- Jiu-Jitsu Techniques: Rodrigo Madeiros’ site features several videos that demonstrate key techniques.
- 17 Tips for an Active Bottom Half Guard: Improve your active bottom half guard with these tips.
- How to do Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Techniques and Moves for MMA: eHow’s guide suggests choking your opponents with holds that use the Gi.
- 20 tips to improve your grappling game: Tips in this article include "practice an outdoor sport" and "be dynamic."
- Why Women Should Grapple: Various jiu-jitsu instructors weigh in on why grappling is an important skill for women.
- Important Tips for Beginners in Jiu Jitsu: In this article, beginner students learn how to prepare their bodies for training, "focus on the basics," and "leave…ego at the door."
- Jiu-Jitsu Fighting: Get tips for arm bars, the cross choke, half guard escape and more.
- Common Injuries in Submission Grappling and Sensible Tips to Prevent Them: Learn how to avoid injury in jiu-jitsu when you read this article.
Get updates on tournament schedules and other competitions here.
- International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation: Get information for competitions like the World Championship, Brazilian Team Titles, International Masters and Seniors, and more.
- Gracie Barra Competition Network: Register for tournaments in the Southern California region here.
- Regulations and Rules: The European Fight Network posts rules and regulations from the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation right here.
- USA BJJ Tournaments: Get tournament results and schedules here.
- World Grappling Games: Get everything from event registration to results to photos for the World Grappling Games on this site.
- North American Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Tournament and Store: Shop jiu-jitsu gear and get information for registration and weight divisions from this site.
- Grapplers Quest: Learn about tournaments for all levels of grapplers here.
- U.S. Grappling: On this site, you can learn about all the different events and championship levels for U.S. Grappling.
Uniforms and Gear
Shop for Gis and other jiu-jitsu gear from these websites.
- Jiu Jitsu Pro Gear: Find fightwear, accessories, gear bags and even kids’ supplies here.
- Gungfu: Shop jiu jitsu gear and uniforms from this site.
- Boxing & MMA Ticket Links: This site has links to the cheapest fight even tickets.
- Jiu-Jitsu USA: Shop fight shorts, rash guards, board shorts and DVDs here.
- NHB Gear: This site has lots of gear and uniforms for mixed martial arts and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, including books, rash guards, Gis and more.
Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed martial arts, or MMA, is often taught at the same academies as jiu-jitsu and can even trace its roots back to the gentle art. Visit these sites to keep up with sports news, learn techniques and more.
- Mixed Martial Arts: Learn about the evolution of mixed martial arts and its different disciplines here.
- ESPN Mixed Martial Arts: Keep up with tournaments and news in the MMA world here.
- MixedMartialArts.com: Get professional stats, information about events, news updates and even radio access about MMA.
- MMA Weekly: This website has a live radio show, daily news, fight updates and more.
- Fighting Techniques for Martial Arts Fighting: Watch demonstrations of jiu-jitsu and MMA techniques here.
- Fight Conditioning: Learn valuable conditioning techniques, warmup routines and more.
- MMA Fighting: MMA Fighting is another MMA news website that also features rankings, photos, videos and more.
- Mixed Martial Arts Part 1: History: Get an overview of the history of this martial arts form.
- Fairfax Jiu Jitsu: This studio gives a great history and overview of Brazilian jiu jitsu, MMA and capoeira.
Judo is another martial arts form that is related to BJJ. If you want to supplement your jiu-jitsu training or just learn more about martial arts, visit these sites.
- Judo: This Wikipedia page details the founding of judo and its popular techniques.
- Judo as a Martial Art: Learn about the style and techniques that make judo a martial art form.
- Judo as a Competitive Sport: Get tips and information about championship fighting trends, tournament rules and the fighting spirit.
- USA Judo: USA Judo is the official website for the U.S. Olympics and championships in judo. Get updates, news and more right here.
- United States Judo Association: Here you’ll find information about and links to judo forums, judo clubs and more.
- Techniques of Judo: Learn counter techniques, throws and more.
- United States Judo Federation: Visit the website for the USJF to shop, get information about tournaments, and more.
- Judo Forum: Connect with others who practice judo here.
- Animated Throwing Techniques of Judo: Learn moves like the leg wheel, advancing foot sweep and others.
- Judo Basics: Browse through the archives of posts that share tips for judo beginners.
Literature and Blogs
Check out these books and blogs to learn even more about BJJ.
- Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique: Read this book to learn why Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is one of the strongest and most popular martial arts forms today.
- Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu: Revolutionizing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: This book introduces a new form of grappling that pulls from Olympic Judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Submission Grappling Techniques: Renzo Gracie contributes to this book which shares tips on submission grappling.
- The Complete Guide to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu: Become an expert at this popular Jiu-Jitsu form.
- Gracie Mag: Read articles and become an online member to learn all about Gracie Jiu Jitsu and submission fighting.
- The Jiu-Jitsu Brotherhood: Get tips, learn about the jiu-jitsu philosophy and more.
- Street Sports: Read posts by Renato Magno, who has been involved with jiu-jitsu for 30 years.
- Aesopian: Get training and competition tips and more from this blog.
- The Jiu Jitsu Fighter: This blog is affiliated with the Roseberry’s Martial Arts Center in Lincoln, NB, and you can find videos, photos and articles about the martial arts form.
- Steve’s BJJ Log: Steve is a blue belt and blogs about "his ups and downs as [he learns] BJJ."
Classes and Training
Find classes and learn what to expect when you enroll in a BJJ class when you visit these resources.
- Serra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Besides getting information about classes offered from this Long Island jiu-jitsu academy, you can also get training tips and watch videos.
- Starting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: What To Expect Your First Class: Find out what to wear and what to expect during your first BJJ class.
- Starting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Class: This guide is great for beginning students who want to know what to bring to class and more.
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Class Structure: Learn about how Gracie Jiu Jitsu classes are structured, including warm ups, take down and ground work.
- Gracie Diet Tips: Get tips on eating the right carbohydrates and more.
- Gracie Diet: Learn all about this popular jiu-jitsu training diet from the famous Gracie family.
- The Most Unique MMA Conditioning Workout You Will Ever See: Get an overview of Alvaro Romano’s conditioning routine which is similar to grappling moves.
- How to do shrimping drills and why: Shrimping drills are a Japanese conditioning exercise and are demonstrated in this video.
- Conditioning Tips: Get real-life conditioning tips from this jiu-jitsu forum.
- Injury Prevention, the Gracie Barra way: Learn how to avoid injuries on the mat here.
Glossaries and Definitions
Understand BJJ terms by checking out these glossaries.
- The Closed Guard: Read a description and view photos of the Leghood Guard, Rubber Guard and more.
- The Open Guard: Learn about the Standard Open Guard and other open guards here.
- The Half Guard: Get a detailed description of this common move here.
Below are even more websites and tips for learning Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
- Jiu-Jitsu.net: find instructional DVDs, books and other guides here.
- Train Hard, Recover Smart: Get ideas for pre- and post-workout meals.
- On the Mat: View demonstrations and learn all about jiu-jitsu from this website.
- Gracie USA: Learn about the popular Gracie style of jiu-jitsu here.
- Keeping the Will to Fight: Learn how to keep fighting even when you’re tired here.
- How to Use Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for Self Defense: Learn this self-defense method here.
- MatRatz: Bonus link! MatRatz is a fun blog for jiu-jitsu lovers. You can learn about tournaments, get training tips and more.